Have you ever heard the expression, “How do you eat an elephant?”
The answer is “One bite at a time.” (Sorry to all our vegetarian and vegan readers.)
Well that’s sometimes how I feel about the challenge of living more sustainably. There are so many issues to tackle and sometimes they become overwhelming. It’s in those moments when I want to throw up my hands and say “what’s the use?” But I must remember that every journey is made up of many small steps.
Since our team returned from Green Build in November, I’ve been trying to maintain the momentum we gained by making small, sustainable choices. Here are a few that I’d like to share.
- Taking the good one-sided paper from our recycling bin and put it into our printer. Much of the printing we do is for in office use, so if the back side has printing or writing on it, who cares. New sheets of paper go in when we print for others (double sided printing if possible).
- Being diligent about turning the lights off when we leave a room.
- Unplugging the wall charger from the socket once the devices are fully charged.
- Using a stainless steel coffee mug when getting take-away coffee/tea (stays hotter much longer too).
- Replacing our trash bins with super tiny ones, and using those large bins for recycling.
- Updating the library to environmentally-friendly companies/products only.
- Bringing in some greenery into the office…and a sustainable one at that!
These are just a few of my elephant bites.
What are yours?